Saturday 11 November 2017

Te Araroa Day 19, Silverdale to Browns Bay


Starting km: 553
Finishing km: 576
km covered today: 23

This and the next few days were spent staying at Sarah's hotel and taking public transport out to continue my walk.



Day 1 in the city was spent hanging about in Auckland with our friends Kim and Brendan, popping into the new Urbanaut brewery near their house.  This is meant to be me giving Kim an elephant trunk.







I really liked this mailbox in Stillwater.


My walk for the day had to be delayed until late afternoon, because a portion of the day's section was very tide dependent.  I headed back out to Silverdale, then walked the 13km to Stillwater before heading across the Okura River estuary.  Even crossing pretty much spot on low tide, I still got wet up to my puku (tummy).  Fortunately I didn't have a pack, so just took off my shirt before crossing, and changed into a spare set of short's I'd brought on the far side.

After the estuary, it was a lovely walk along the beach with the sun setting over Long Bay Regional Park, followed by another hour or so of walking on city streets to Brown's Bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment