Saturday 4 November 2017

Te Araroa Day 12, Ngunguru to a campsite somewhere inland from Ocean Beach

Starting km: 342
Finishing km: 381
km covered today: 39

I thought this was the Ngunguru Estuary at sunrise.  It's actually sunset.  A fact I should've known by the fact that I was still comfortably asleep in my bunk at sunrise that morning!

The day started with what felt like a way-too-long diversion through pine forest around another one river estuary before arriving at a second where (if you planned it correctly) one just talked straight across.  It was mostly very pleasant, but the last 10m getting back on land through the mangroves was through incredibly deep and sticky mud.  I've STILL got tiny bits of it on my sandals 10 days later
A bit of easy walking along roads, through farmland and along an easy DOC track led to some great views over Ocean Beach (can you believe this beach is 6km long!?)

It was getting late and I was getting tired as I neared the end of Ocean Beach (maybe 1.5 or 2km from the end.)  I still hadn't figured out where I'd be sleeping when I saw a small sign up on top of the dunes reading simply "Camp."  I decided to take a chance.  400m in from the beach I found this lovely place.  Toilets, an indoor kitchen, solar-battery electricity (which I didn't use), a few trailers/sheds with beds to sleep in... Even a wood-fired pizza oven for goodness sake!  The indoor sleeping areas were all a bit musty, so as I had the place entirely to myself I opted to set my sleeping mat on the floor of the roofed, though un-walled, main shed area.  I was soooo lucky to have a roof over my head that evening, as it poured down rain for much of the night!

I can't say enough about how fabulous it was to stay at this place, set up by the local farm owners and offered to the public for koha (a small donation or token of appreciation)

Another good day's walk done!

No comments:

Post a Comment