Friday 3 November 2017

Te Araroa Day 11, Whananki to Ngunguru Estuary

Starting km:315
Finishing km: 342
km covered today: 27


The cool pedestrian bridge over the Whananaki River estuary

The morning began with a lovely walk along a wide grass and clay track ducking in and out from the coast south of Whananaki

Another, not quite as nice coast photo.  But I don't have many photos of myself, especially non-selfie ones, and I guess I'm olde enough selfies still feel silly to me (that "e" on the end of old was a typo, but I kind of like it, so I'll leave it.)

Later in the day, my lunch spot near Tane Moana, one of the largest remaining kauri trees

The day's walk wasn't super challenging, so I finished off with a small diversion to a local town track in Ngunguru which promised "Trail Magic" for TA walkers near the "floral water tanks."  This was just so cool!  The microwave was filled with things walkers would find nice or useful, including some lollies, super glue, duct tape, razors, pens... All left in behind the home of a former TA walker.  Trail magic indeed!

At the end of the day I called a lovely chap named James who came across the estuary in his little boat to pick me up.  Decided to stay at his fabulous spot on the far side.  Not a tough choice as it had this fabulous covered communal area with gas cookers, hot showers that were very generous with their flow rates and even a bunkroom (which I opted for, given the forecast called for rain.)  There were 6 other TA walkers staying there that night (3 Germans, an Austrian, an American and a Brit) making it the fullest TA campsite I'd yet seen.  So accommodating was host James that he made a boat trip back to town to pick up fish and chips and beer for some of the other guests!

Stopping point for day 11.  Ngunguru.  Try saying that... well, even one time slowly.  Though you won't be too far wrong if you just ignore the "g"s.

No comments:

Post a Comment