Tuesday 7 November 2017

Te Araroa Day 15, Langsview to Pakiri

Starting km: 435
Finishing km: 479
km covered today: 44

After walking a mere 15km the day before, I had to pick it up a bit on Tuesday.  No problem!  I had my first navigation issue of the walk, turning immediately right on a road after leaving the bush instead of left followed by a quick right.  But all this meant was that I had to do a bit more road walking to make it to the next immediate destination, the holiday town of Mangawhai.

Following the road walk through Mangawhai and Mangawhai heads, and a walk through a pine plantation, the rest of the day was spent on (or slightly above as in this photo) the beach.

I had a lovely time walking with Cate, one of the first Kiwi TA walkers I'd yet met.  We had a few river crossings to do along the length of the beach, but the first one was only about 1m deep and slow moving, and the next two were at or near low tide and so were only knee deep at worst.

At the end of the beach (plus a wee road walk inland, then another uphill) was the home of my friends Jason and Monica (and, of course, their sheep Willa and Polka.)  The sheep adequately filled up on sheep treats, we went out for some human treats at the Matakana Village Pub.  It was a real novelty to drive a long distance in a car (as well as, despite the recent pizza, to eat non-camping food for a change.)

My comfy, homey home for a whole two nights !

No comments:

Post a Comment