Tuesday 19 December 2017

Te Araroa Day 58, Porirua to Home

Starting km: 1687
Finishing km: 1721
km covered today: 34

I'd done almost all of the official Te Araroa route for this section multiple times, so I decided to modify it and walk somewhere new.  Instead of following the high ridgelines of the Northern Walkway and Skyline tracks, I followed the Tawa valley track, then some residential streets before returning to the official track on Lambton Quay (Wellington's main shopping street.)  I'd spent literally years walking over the brass Te Araroa direction signs embedded in the paving bricks of the street, so it felt really special to walk this section as part of my Te Araroa.

While walking, I spent most of the time listening to podcasts.  I'd spent virtually no time plugged in or listening to anything on while walking before arriving in Wellington, so this was a bit of a novelty.  I especially enjoyed catching up on The Long Way Home, a Radio NZ podcast documenting one walker's experiences on Te Araroa.  Fortunately I seem to have been having a luckier time of it than its host Bruce Hopkins, who has been plagued with a wide variety of misfortunes along the way (but who has also seen some of the same kindness of trail angels and camaraderie amongst walkers as I've been experiencing.)







No comments:

Post a Comment