Monday 18 December 2017

Te Araroa Day 56, Waikanae to Paekakariki

Starting km: 1642
Finishing km: 1664
km covered today: 22

I'd planned to spend a while in Wellington, spending time with Sarah and other friends, eating and drinking lots of nice food and just generally living it up.

But there was still a bit of walking to do to cover the 91km between Waikanae and the terminus of Te Araroa's North Island route in Island Bay.

The first day of walking was one of the longer ones, but was pretty pleasant and easy.  It started with a train out to Waikanae and that brisket sandwich and beer that I'd missed out on when I came down from the Tararuas (as well as a very pleasant chat with my mate Kieran, who was busily at work in the brewery when I stopped by.)

The remainder of the day was spent on a nice trail alongside the Waikanae River (and later it's estuary) before 12km or so cruising down the beach to Paekakariki, where I ran into another mate, Gwilym who was about to hop on the train at the same time as me, so I had pleasant company for the ride home.

One of my favourite things about living in Wellington is how regularly one runs into friends and acquaintances over the course of a day, and my time back in the city, even the time spent while doing official TA walking, was proving it.





No comments:

Post a Comment