Friday 19 January 2018

Te Araroa Day 88, Camp Stream Hut to Lake Tekapo Village

Starting km: 2289
Finishing km: 2423
km covered today: 34
After the excitement and grandeur of the past couple of days, this one was pretty straightforward.
A walk down a river valley, then up over a hill, surrounded by other semi-barren hills.  There was a bit of light adventure when I briefly lost the trail a couple of times and had to find my way back with some off trail climbing. And there were some more nice views of the Southern Alps.  But really I just wanted to get the walk done and get to Tekapo Village where I could shower, have a real bed and real food, catch up on blog writing, communicate with the outside world, etc. etc.
So it even kind of suited me that most of the last 16km was road walking.
I had it done and dusted by around 14:00.  And all of the "civilization" things I wanted were done in due course as well.  Aside from talking to Sarah, the highlight was probably dinner.  I was kind of in the mood for fish and chips, but Tekapo is a long way from the sea. So I picked up a huge elephant fish fillet, a kilo bag of oven chips and cooked the lot on the BBQ.  I know I have these more often than most, but it was one of those uuuuurgh, I ate too much (1.5kg of food to be precise) kind of meals.
Very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment