Sunday 14 January 2018

Te Araroa Day 82, Greney's Shelter Campsite to Cora Lynn Road

Starting km: 2208
Finishing km: 2216
km covered today: 8

The next morning I woke at 5:30, before my alarm went off. It's interesting that even though it's past the summer solstice sunrises are still getting earlier for me, as I'm travelling south quickly enough.

First order of business for the day was to finish off the final 8km before the next section of TA. This was a mix of road, rocky riverbed and grassy flats. Near the end I couldn't decide whether to take the shortcut by crossing the Waimakariri River on foot or to head for the road bridge. I ended up getting the worst of all worlds, not saving much time, but still having to cross one small braid and getting my feet wet. Along the way I got nice views into the mountains and up the Mingha Valley. The weather up there didn't look all that great, which led me to think maybe I'd made the right choice in skipping the Mingha-Deception route after all.

This accomplished I got on to the important business of the day. Starting with hitching a ride 160km or so down to  Christchurch. The fourth car that passed stopped and the driver, Milad, an Iranian-Kiwi heading home after a fishing weekend offered me a lift almost straight to my destination.

It took only fifteen minutes of bus and walking to get to my partner Sarah's mom Olwyn's house. An hour after that I'd started my washing, had a shower, drank a delicious coffee, reorganized my pack and disposed of my rubbish.  And then we headed to the airport to pick Sarah up!

It was just really lucky timing that I got to see her. She happened to be visiting her mom, I wasn't too far away and I needed to head to a town somewhere to resupply. Bonus Llama time!


Sarah and Olwyn and I had a fabulous day. Huge tasty lunch and three (imperial) pints at the Laboratory brewpub. Checking out the location and design of Olwyn's new home. Shopping for food supplies and to replace my drowned trekking pole (RIP Lech).  

Then at home having some lovely sparkling wine, as well as a lovely dinner of salmon pasta with salad fresh from the garden. (I absolutely devoured this last. I never miss anything on the trail more than fresh vegetables.)

And of course I got to spend time talking with Olwyn and Sarah and snuggling up to Sarah too. 

It was an entirely unexpected day, but a 10/10 cracker if I've ever had one. Spending a bonus day with Sarah was everything I wanted after a couple of weeks on the south island (though somehow the only.photo I took was of our devoured meal and beer at the laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment