Saturday 28 October 2017

Te Araroa Day 5, Herekino Forest

Starting km: 101
Finishing km: 136
km walked today: 35

After taking Sarah to get her bus to Pahia, Brian dropped me off in Ahipara where we'd finished walking the day before.  It was a bit further to the start of the forest walking than I'd figured, but it was at least a pleasant 5km

The walk through the Herekino forest brought my first big kauri tree of northland (as well as my first boot cleaning station, placed there by the NZ Department of Conservation [DOC] in order to help prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).

While the kauris were cool, the thing that the Herekino Forest is best known for is mud on the trails.  It hadn't rained for four days, but I still spent a good chunk of the day walking through ankle deep mud (though there was also some nice easy walking on old forestry roads.)  The Northland forests have a reputation as being the first big test on Te Araroa, and possibly the hardest part of the north island.  I actually didn't find Herekino that bad, getting through it in 5.5 hours as compared to the 8 listed on the sign at the entrance.

There was a nice looking privately constructed hut and camp just at the exit to the forest, and the offer from a local to camp out behind the hall in the town of Takahue, I ended up picking a nice grassy spot by the river (also suggested by a local, who stopped his car to offer me the recommendation) a full 15km of roadwalking past the end of the Herekino

No comments:

Post a Comment