Tuesday 31 October 2017

Te Araroa Day 8, Puketi to Pahia

Starting km: 199
Finishing km:248
km walked today: 49
You can already tell that this was a huge day's walking.  But why?
Well, after we parted ways in Ahipara, Sarah was going to have a little holiday in the Bay of Islands region before heading back to Wellington.  We'd been talking the day before and discovered that while she was meant to be heading back to Wellington this morning:
A. I was getting very near the BoI and
B. There were $35 flights back to Wellington for the next day

So Sarah changed her plans and I busted my butt walking for a day so we'd get to see one another again.  Yay!
The day was mostly pretty nice, but started out with fog and rain.  This made the beginning of the walk through farmland tough to navigate (hard to see the marker posts) and tough on the feet (my shoes and socks got soaked, so I changed to sandals, which promptly got filled and covered in grass seed.)  I met lots of nice sheep though.
This was somewhat mitigated by the lovely folks who set out a bucket of grapefruit and beer (too early, even for me) as the trail passed into their farm.  Double trail-angels, allowing public access to their land and providing treats for walkers!

By late morning I was at the Kerikeri River trail, which was very pretty, very well constructed and maintained, AND shared with lots of non-TA hikers
Following a good long walk though Kerikeri and a pine plantation, I met Sarah just outside the Waitangi Treaty grounds.  It was so great to see her and have a big hug after a long day.  I felt a little bit guilty when she offered to carry my pack for the last ~3km, but not guilty enough to say no.  Starting the day with wet feet that kept damp all day had led to my first (small) blister of the trip, and after 45km I was pretty tired

Bliss!  A big steak on the bbq, a big salad a bottle of wine, an actual bed and someone to snuggle up with in Pahia

Sarah had an early bus the next morning, but I hung about in Pahia, finishing off my re-supply shopping and having a tiny bit of a (gasp!) rest day

No comments:

Post a Comment